December Newsletter 2019
December is here and the kids certainly feel the excitement of the season. The semester is rapidly coming to a close, so we wanted to review the events at WCDS for the month.
- Next week marks the “Hour of Code,” an initiative to teach computer science and coding at all grade levels. The Lower School will be participating on December 13 with various age-appropriate coding lessons occurring.
- The Lower School will hold its Holiday Music Program on December 12 at 9:30 am. They are excited to perform for family and friends in celebration of this special time of the year.
- IOWA tests results for students in grades 1st-8th will be sent home with report cards. As always, if you have questions or concerns, please feel free to schedule a time to meet with your child’s teacher after the Christmas break.
- Lower School report cards will be sent home on December 13. Please review and sign your student’s report card and return it to his or her teacher before the break. Upper School grades will be mailed at the end of the semester.
- There will be a school-wide Ugly Sweater day on December 12. Feel free to break out those holiday sweaters and Christmas gear!
- Early Years and Lower School will have their classroom Holiday parties on December 19.
- Early Years and Lower School will celebrate the end of the semester by having Pajama Day on Friday, December 20.
- The Early Years and Lower School have a noon dismissal on December 20.
- Exams begin on Friday, December 13 for grades 7-12. Please remember that exams will BEGIN at the published start time. Students should arrive in plenty of time to their exam location and get settled. The exam schedule is posted on the website, and we include a copy here:
Friday, December 13th: English Exam 8-10 am
Monday, December 16th: Math 8-10am and History 11-1pm (except AP Psychology)
Tuesday, December 17th: Spanish 9-11am and AP Psychology 11:30-1:30pm
Wednesday, December 18th: Science 9-11am and 12-2pm. If your junior or senior has 2 science classes, they will take the second science exam at this time.
- Builder’s club will provide snacks to students between exams on Monday, December 16.
- Students in grades 7-12 are dismissed after their exam time. Please make arrangements to have your student picked up from campus.
- Grades 9-12 will celebrate the end of the semester by having a Christmas Ball on Saturday, December 21 in the Performing Arts room. This event is hosted by the Student Government Association, and tickets can be purchased from them. The dance is from 8:00pm to 11:00pm. Students must arrive by 8:30pm to be admitted. If a student leaves the dance, they will not be allowed to reenter.
- Lastly, and most importantly, we hope that you enjoy time with family and loved ones this holiday season.
Fran Shaw & David Flowers