Important Information: April 20, 2020
April 20, 2020
Dear Parents, Guardians, Faculty, and Staff:
We hope you are all healthy and finding a little extra family time during this social distancing period. Virtual and distance learning have been going well, and we are very impressed with how the students adjusted to this new learning method. We appreciate and thank you for your ongoing understanding and partnership through this year that has been full of changes. Listed below are a few more changes we need to make in order to finish out the year:
1. Annual Meeting of the Corporation: Keeping everyone’s safety and well-being in mind, we have decided to hold this meeting on Tuesday, August 18, 2020. In order to remain within our Corporate By-Laws, (5) Board Members terms will still expire on June 30, 2020. They will be able to attend, but not vote in the July Board Meeting, if one is held. New Board Members will be elected on August 18th, their term will retro-actively start on July 1, 2020 and all newly elected members will be excused from the July Board Meeting, if one is held. We will send out an email with proposed changes to the By-Laws and new member nominees at least 30 days prior to the August 18th meeting.
2. End of the School Year: Based on the information we’ve received; we do not think the social distancing recommendations will lift anytime soon. Hence, we plan to end this school year via virtual classes. Last day of school for 3K – 11th graders will be on Friday, May 15, 2020. Last day of school for the Senior Class will be on April 30, 2020, as originally scheduled. No final exams will be held for Upper School Students. Students taking AP classes, have been advised on the new dates for each AP exam per College Board.
3. Report Cards will be mailed by May 19th for Lower and Upper School students.
4. 3K to 6th Grades: teachers will have the final packets and supplemental learning materials ready for pick up on April 24th. Please stop by the lower school loop between the hours of 12:00-2:00 pm to pick up your child’s materials. If you are unable to pick up the materials during this time, please call the office at 919-736-1045 to arrange pick up. Someone is in the office from 9:00 am - 2:00 pm Monday through Friday.
5. Return of School Property: Students will be responsible for turning in ALL books, technology, uniforms, etc. that were issued to them. More information about how this process will work will be available soon. Please make sure your child(ren) keeps up with all school property.
6. Upper School Student Advisor and Class Selections: All Upper School students should have received a google form to select their advisor for the 2020-2021 school year. They must submit this form by Tuesday, April 21st. Shortly after receiving these forms, they will be sent the course selection form. Please fill out both forms with your child(ren). If you have questions, feel free to email Ms. Shaw at email@example.com or your child’s current advisor.
7. Re-enrollment: If you have not re-enrolled your child(ren), we will not be able to process their advisor and class selection for the 2020-2021 school year until you turn in their re-enrollment paperwork/deposit. If you have questions about re-enrollment or account status, please email or call Dawn Schappell at 919-736-1045 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
8. Graduation: We still plan to hold Graduation at the Paramount on Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 11:00 a.m. Again, this may change due to new mandates issued by the Governor and/or the President. In anticipation of the changing environment due to the pandemic, we have the following dates for Graduation on reserve with the Paramount: May 21, 2020; July 2, 2020; and July 30, 2020.
9. Upper School Awards Ceremony: More information to follow on this. Please keep May 19th, 5:30 pm on your calendar for now.
10. Head of School Search Committee Update: Please look for a link to a survey from the Search Committee on experience and characteristics you value most in the next Head of School.
If you have not returned re-enrollment paperwork with the deposit, please do so ASAP. Some classes have already closed and others may follow, as we started accepting new students this week. Timely re-enrollment also helps us plan the next school year.
Thank you for your support as we continue to thrive as a learning community and school family during this unprecedented time.
Board of Trustees and Dr. Steven Taylor
Wayne Country Day School